Froshty Mugs

An occasional forum I use to earn "She was funny" on my gravestone.

Friday, October 05, 2007

For Nick

My last post was dedicated to all teens because of the wonderful teens who have sat by my daughters' bed side while they recovered from their terrible ordeal. I've always known that my daughters are special, but it's great to know that there are kids their age who think the same thing about them.

This brief post is dedicated to one of their most faithful friends. His name is Nick, he's 17, and he has been a real constant during these two weeks of fear and hope. He was one of the teens who sat with my friend Madeline, whose daughter was also injured in the accident, while we waited for so many hours for doctors to tell us how our children were doing. He held our hands, hugged us, and cried for both girls when he first saw them.

He is such a good kid. Before we met him, he'd already been through things that no teen should have to endure. When we met him, he was basically homeless because his parents have to deal with a lot because he has siblings that require a lot of care and attention. He bounded up to us one day, got all happy when he saw our dog Lucky, and he has basically become my foster son since that time.

He's passionate and strong, and he and I have had words before the accident, because I, too, am passionate and strong. But, last night, instead of chasing down his friends and hanging out with them, he stayed at the house so that he could help Madeline rearrange furniture in our house so that Anna could sleep downstairs in what we're now calling "Anna's suite." He talked to Madeline and me for hours and put up with all our rants about men. He tried to do back flips and front flips for us and was climbing around in trees with the energy that teenaged boys are famous for.

His will is strong and he's tough, but he also has one of the best hearts I've seen in someone his age. He's sworn to protect all three of us (Mary, Anna, and me) from harm and pain and I believe him. When I saw him cry over Anna and Mary, my heart melted completely. I hope that one day, life will bring him everything he wants. He truly deserves this.

For those of you who read this and are praying for my daughters, please offer up a special thanks for bringing him into our lives. He's a terrific man and he gives me hope that when kids his age are old enough to run this world, it will be a much better place than the one we have now.

Thanks, Nick, for being our friend. All three of us are so glad you're in our lives.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick and the girls' other friends have been an inspiration to me. They have set an example that many adults could learn from, showing that friends are more important than the many details that take over our lives!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home